Post the first lines from your last 20 stories. Do you see a pattern?
1. "This," Peter said, waving a file for emphasis, "is the problem with working for a top secret government agency."
2. There was a knock at the door just as Will, newly cleaned, was pulling on the last of his clothes.
3. “You have got to be kidding me!” Matt roared.
4. Monday mornings was Luke, at his apartment, before his first class on campus.
5. Peter followed Matt through the crowd, fiercely paying no mind to the enticing swirl of color and fabric, skin and hair, all around them.
6. For five seconds, Sylar considered locking the door.
7. “It wasn’t enough, was it?”
8. It was like being given an elixir of youth.
9. “Mr. President, your nine p.m. appointment?”
10. “Two months.”
11. Nathan knew he had the advantage of his voice.
12. The Plaza Hotel.
13. The pollen from what had been nicknamed the “singing star-flowers” was thick in the air, almost to the point creating a hazardous breathing situation.
16. “He’s not drugged."
17. “Why’d you come to me?”
18. The heat was too much for him, even after warming up to it, and Lyle hissed as his skin scorched under Luke’s hand, painful blisters rising under his fingers.
20. "Two weeks?"
Hmm, I don't think I have a pattern, not really. Some start very in medius res in conversations, others are single words, and some are rather long sentences with background and stuff. If anyone else is better at this literary analysis than I am, feel free to add in your two cents!